- Learning Self-paced w/ teacher mentors. Summer Special : Save $200 w/ Promo code certification200
This 30-hour teacher-mentored certification (30 CECs) is an advanced certification for fitness professionals. Our self-paced teacher-mentored course will provide you with the knowledge to work in fitness with the chronically ill. Learn the skills to appropriately assess, program design and implement exercise programs for these special clients. You’ll learn how to safely create a customized exercise routine that meets specific medical needs and applies best practices from both fields of health care.
On successful completion of the Medical Fitness Specialist Certification Course, you will receive your W.I.T.S. Medical Fitness Specialist Level 1 Certification. This certification is the perfect way to expand your client base, network with the medical community, expand your fitness knowledge and further develop your skills as an exercise professional.
You will be able to practically apply the knowledge in programming safe and effective workouts. Nothing is more rewarding than working with the medical community to do great things for people with special medical issues. This MFS Level 1 Certification includes a written core exam and a practical case scenario exam to demonstrate operational safe and effective competency.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Fitness Specialist course, students will be able to:
- Prescribe physical activity or exercise for individuals with chronic conditions or disabilities.
- Utilize a multi-disciplinary approach to provide clients with chronic conditions or disabilities quality physical activity options.
- Understand the importance of professional networking as it pertains to the collaborative treatment of individuals with chronic conditions or disabilities.
- Evaluate the health status of individuals with chronic conditions or disabilities.
- Identify common medications prescribed to treat a variety of chronic conditions or disabilities.
- Modify existing exercise programming for newly diagnosed individuals.
Course topics include:
- 15 hours of core knowledge lectures
- 15 hours of practical knowledge in program development
- Exercise Is Medicine in Chronic Care
- Basic Physical Activity and Exercise Recommendations for Persons With Chronic Conditions
- Art of Clinical Exercise Programming
- Art of Exercise Medicine: Counseling and Socioecological Factors
- Approach to the Common Chronic Conditions
- Chronic Conditions Strongly Associated With Physical Inactivity
- Chronic Conditions Very Strongly Associated With Tobacco
- Cancer, Significant Sequelae Related to Common Chronic Conditions
- Depression and Anxiety Disorders.
Changing lives never got so real! Coming in the Fall will be MFS Level 2
Who Should Enroll:
- Fitness professionals, college students in similar fields, massage therapists and other related fields like occupational therapists
- Minimum 18 Years of age
- High School Diploma or GED
- Preferably with a personal trainer certification or a related degree
- Current CPR/AED Certification before being issued certification
- Textbook (Sold Separately)
ACSM’s Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases and Disabilities-4th, American College of Sports Medicine Geoffrey Moore J. Larry Durstine Patricia Painter, © 2016
- 30 CECs (Continuing Education Credits) Applicable to other W.I.T.S. renewals
- Certification issued by passing the online exams in core knowledge (multiple choice questions) and practical scenario applications in programming
- A Level 2 Medical Fitness Specialist is projected for late Fall 2024
Shop by category
Don’t know which course is right for you? Get in contact with our experts!