As a fitness professional, you should have a foundational knowledge of nutrition and nutritional concepts. This new, updated online course introduces you to current nutrition information and practical consumer-oriented knowledge. You will become familiar with the principles of diet planning, government standards, and food labeling and the biological functions and food sources of each nutrient. This course is offered online and is available 24/7 from any location. Online mentors are available to support your learning. Required Text: Selected Chapters from Contemporary Nutrition: A Functional Approach, Third Edition.
After successfully completing this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the various factors that affect our food habits, including advertising, experiences, customs, social changes, and economic factors.
- Identify diet and lifestyle factors that contribute to the leading causes of death in the US.
- Describe what the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) and other dietary standards represent.
- Describe the components of the Nutrition Facts panel and the various health claims and label descriptors that are allowed.
- Identify the basic structures and food sources of carbohydrates and list the functions of carbohydrates in the body.
- Explain the role and function of lipids in the body and distinguish between the four classes of lipids.
- Describe how protein is digested and absorbed in the body and the primary functions of protein in the body.
- Summarize the basic functional roles of vitamins, minerals, and water.
- Demonstrate how to properly utilize the ChooseMyPlate website.